Barber, C.A.Dr. C.A. Barber is the Founder Director of Sugarcane Research Station during 1912 (now called Sugarcane Breeding Institute).
- He was the first Government Sugarcane Expert
- He was the Botanist and Breeder at the Institute during 1912-1918
- He was instrumental in identifying the first interspecific hybrid Co 205, released for commercial cultivation
- He was the architect of the first successful inter-generic hybrid in 1916 between S. officinarum clone 'Vellai' and Narenga porphyiocana
- He initiated sugarcane breeding in India and brought international recognition to the station by using the wild species (kans) as parent of Co Varieties
- He conducted monumental work on the morphology and classification of Indian canes
- The species Saccharum barberi is named after him